Why do we need the Catalyst for Inclusive Education?
- ½ of the children out of school in 2017 are children with disabilities – roughly 52 million children.
- Children with intellectual disabilities are the most excluded, and often experience a “double disadvantage” (for example, girls, refugees, and indigenous persons with disabilities).
- Children with intellectual disabilities are usually at home, and those that do go to school are usually segregated.
- Inclusive education is the key to a full life in the community.
- We cannot achieve “Education for All” without children with intellectual disabilities.
- Governments need support to transform to inclusive systems.
- Inclusion International members need tools and support in order to advance inclusive education locally and regionally.
- A focus on inclusion leads to quality for ALL.